XP SP3 can't connect; Linux-Ubuntu can connect
l mehl
2011-07-24 22:38:56 UTC
Hello --

The connection has been broken for so long I can't remember when the
problem began. I recall a virus in the past which might be the cause.

XP SP3 won't connect with Firefox, Opera, or IE.
Booting with Ubuntu connects just fine.

Does this information point to the component(s) of Win XP which is
broken?
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

If there is a more appropriate group in which to post this please tell
me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

L Mehl
edfair
2011-07-26 02:58:34 UTC
Since multiple browsers are affected it sounds like the network card ma
be having problems.

Use the command prompt (start > programs > accessories > command )
ipconfig to see what you have (if 169... ) you have a problem with NW
Exit
takes you back to GUI.
start > control panel > network and see if you have a device then righ
click
and properties, look to see if you have TCP/IP, if so right click on i
and look
at properties. You would be interested in automatically getting I
address.
If IP was 169..... and you were supposed to automatically get an addres
you have a problem with your router or cables
James Egan
2011-07-27 08:04:20 UTC
Post by l mehl
Hello --
The connection has been broken for so long I can't remember when the
problem began. I recall a virus in the past which might be the cause.
XP SP3 won't connect with Firefox, Opera, or IE.
Booting with Ubuntu connects just fine.
Does this information point to the component(s) of Win XP which is
broken?
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
If there is a more appropriate group in which to post this please tell
me.
Thanks in advance for any help.
L Mehl
Try running LSPfix

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Jim
Hans-Georg Michna
2011-07-28 15:34:25 UTC
Post by l mehl
The connection has been broken for so long I can't remember when the
problem began. I recall a virus in the past which might be the cause.
XP SP3 won't connect with Firefox, Opera, or IE.
Booting with Ubuntu connects just fine.
Does this information point to the component(s) of Win XP which is
broken?
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Hans-Georg